Digital Declutter Rules for Lent 2021
This is a list of rules that I'm going to follow for the remainder of Lent. In hindsight I should have started this as soon as Lent started, but oh well. Better late than never.
These rules are based off v2.0. There's not much modifications from the previous rules I had. The biggest change in this set of rules, is that I'm not allowing myself to do any blogging whatsoever. I already feel anxious and excited about that one. It will be a good challenge.
And so without further ado, my Lent digital declutter starts now. You can find the rules below. See y'all online on Easter Sunday.
- Text Messages/iMessage: Allowed
- Facebook Messenger: Allowed, but can only check it once a day.
- Microsoft Teams: Allowed (needed for work)
- Everything else: Not allowed
- Mobile Phone Apps:
- Outlook: Allowed (needed for work) but can only be used during daytime, except on support calls.
- Yahoomail: Allowed (needed for two factor authentication) but can only be used during daytime.
- Protonmail: Not allowed
- On PC: Allowed
- On Tablet: Not allowed
- Mobile Phone Apps:
- Safari: Not allowed, except for when I really NEED to lookup something and for going through already open tabs.
- On PC: Allowed (but see further restrictions below)
- On Tablet: Not allowed, except for when I really NEED to lookup something.
- Safari: Not allowed, except for going through already open tabs.
- Feedly: Allowed
- Are.na: Allowed
On PC: Allowed but only limited to educational/career topics, like those on software development and productivity/self-improvement.
- Jalopnik: Not allowed
- Speedhunters: Not allowed
- The Truth About Cars: Not allowed
- Read.write.as: Not allowed
- Micro.blog: Not allowed.
- ESPN: Not allowed
- News sites: Not allowed
- Articles/posts from Are.na and Feedly: Allowed
On Tablet: Not allowed
Posting to Blogs/Journals:
- No blogging allowed.
- iBooks: Allowed
- Kindle: Allowed
- Audible: Allowed
Social Media Apps and Websites:
- No social media use allowed.
- Mobile Phone Games: Not allowed
- Xbox One: Allowed at night for a max of 1 hour of play time during weekdays. Allowed with frequent breaks on weekends.
- PC Games: Same restrictions as Xbox One.
Video Streaming Apps:
- Netflix: Allowed during weekdays for at most 2 episodes or 1 documentary/movie. Allowed on weekends with less restrictions.
- Crunchyroll: Not allowed
- YouTube: Only allowed for viewing educational content
- Pluralsight: Allowed
- Spotify: Allowed
- Pandora: Allowed
- Weather App: Allowed
- Apple Notes: Allowed, except when I have a pocket notebook on me.
- OneNote: Allowed, except when I have a pocket notebook on me.
- Obsidian: Allowed to work on my digital garden.
- Apps or services that are categorized or used as tools will be allowed, like the Calculator, Calendar and other such apps.
- Apps or services that have infinite pools, in other words infinite news feeds, will not be allowed.